• Become a Subscribing Member today!

J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more.
    • J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.
    • You will also receive two J3-Cub decals!

Become a Subscribing Member and access J3-Cub.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Fabric question for Mr. Marble?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob turner

Reaction score
Hey HT - I am doing gear legs this week. Your suggestion was to use cotton for the tapes. As you know, Grade A is a thing of the past, so I tried a similar variety of 100% cotton - muslin.

I did the trailing edge first - one turned out sort of ok - a couple of very small air bubbles remain, and the pinked edge of the fabric seam shows through. The iron will not fix those. The other sort of got a ridge for about 6” over the pinked edge, and the iron made it worse.

I pulled that one - pretty good adhesion - and finished up with Dacron - but am willing to try this again. What should I have done - just glued a half inch around the outside of the tape, then shrunk with water before applying the rest of the coating?

I am leaving that one cotton tape - it is on the left leg, and we seem to have more problems with the right leg inner rear seam, so not sure it will be a good test.

Latest posts

Back