• Become a Subscribing Member today!

J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more.
    • J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.
    • You will also receive two J3-Cub decals!

Become a Subscribing Member and access J3-Cub.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Stitching

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroClassics

Reaction score
i am hoping someone here can help a modeler. I have been working on a 1/4 scale J3 w/ 65hp Continental. My model will have the Freise style ailerons. What I am trying to figure out is what stitch is used on the wings and empennage, and how far apart they are. I have been looking at the covering pdf file in the tech section of J3-cub.com and I am afraid it has raised more questions that it has answered.

Wing
The drawing of the left wing panel appears to show no stitching at all. I do see what look like circles, 8 of them, placed on the wing surface. I am wonder what they are and where they are located, top or bottom (my bet is bottom). There also appears to be two tear drop shaped openings and three rectangular openings. Am I correct in assuming the rectangle shaped opens are actually inspection ports and are covered in a clear material? The teardrop items are on the top wing and I am sure that one of the is where the top aileron cable exits the wing. But I do not know the purpose of the other. Does the wing not get stitched?

Vertical Stab and Rudder
On the rudder the drawing shows those same round "holes". Is this the location of the stitches and are there only seven stitches for the rudder? Does the vertical stab only have two stitches? Again located where the circles are on the drawing?

Horizontal Stab
If the circles indicate stitch locations there appears to be 14 stitches per stab per side? Is this correct?

Elevator
Following the same logic, does this mean, based on the drawing, that there are four stitches per elevator half?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA,
Doug

PS
I am still looking for an opportunity to photograph a J3 with the 65 hp Continental up close to use as the subject for my model. If anyone in the DFW area could afford me this opportunity I would be very appreciative.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back