• Become a Subscribing Member today!

J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more.
    • J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.
    • You will also receive two J3-Cub decals!

Become a Subscribing Member and access J3-Cub.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Engines Issue Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking for advice from experienced Cub owners.

Recently purchased a 1946 Cub, I decided to spend money on a recent restoration with newer overhaul, the idea of make it hurt once and have years of enjoyment. I am having issues with my new purchase and low oil pressure. I have had a vintage aircraft experienced mechanic working on this, many things have been verified. A secondary gauge to verify accuracy of the dash gauge. The oil pressure relief spring replaced with proper blue one and the seat worked. Boroscoped. Compressions checked. Oil change with screen cleaned. Magnetos timing checked. Everything checks out. I flew it yesterday at 60 degrees ambient and once the oil warmed up, the oil pressure was about 15-20 PSI at full power, I brought the plane right back and it was almost 0 at idle while taxi in. It is now recommended the engine comes apart, the guess is bearings. I am looking for advice from what I see as my options:

1) Have the engine opened up and IRANed. This is an unknown cost at this time.
2) Purchase a used engine which is probably about $15K
3) I have spoken to a couple of engine builders, they recommend the engine be completely overhauled even though it has under 40 hrs SMOH. The reason is the quality of the overhaul is suspect and if it is apart, make it right. Cost of about $30K
4) The plane has a A65, now would be the time to search for a timed out C85 to overhaul and upgrade the plane. No idea on this cost.

Anyone have advice of how to proceed or anything I could be missing?

I am not offering my wife's advice of option 5... sell it as a "mechanics special".

Latest posts

Back