• Become a Subscribing Member today!

J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more.
    • J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.
    • You will also receive two J3-Cub decals!

Become a Subscribing Member and access J3-Cub.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Best A-65 Upgrade Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the Cub world, so bear with me here.

I purchased a 1939 J3C-65 in January and have loved flying it ever since, putting over 50 hours on it in the past 6 months. It has an older A-65-8 with around 600 hours SMOH, done in 1990. It's been running strong, especially after an extensive first annual in May: two new slick mags, new harness and plugs. Also installed the Real Gaskets pushrod tube STC. I change the oil every 25 hours, running W80 Plus year-round. Overall solid compressions, occasional minor oil leaks.

Anyways, with the lack of engine part availability has encouraged me to start thinking about my next engine. I am not in a rush to replace or overhaul my current one, but I want a solid plan formed considering the length of time it takes to build up or overhaul one of these old engines. As far as I know, there's no shops out there that sell new engines "out of the box" ready to plug and play. If you know of any, let me know!

These are the 3 options I'm considering, mostly in order cost effectiveness and downtime. Also in preference of higher horsepower of course!
  1. Buy a used C-85/C-90 ($10-20k)
  2. Buy a used C-85 ($10-20k) plus O-200 crank ($10k) plus labor ($?) to create a stroker
  3. Overhaul current A-65 ($22k, 6 month downtime)
Are these options realistic? Do I have the "build up" process of the stroker correct - and is the extra cost for the crank and labor worth it?

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back