• Become a Subscribing Member today!

J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more.
    • J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.
    • You will also receive two J3-Cub decals!

Become a Subscribing Member and access J3-Cub.com in full!

Subscribe Now

7/29/24 -- cloud cover at 7,000 feet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnneNonMouse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Cloud cover at 7,000 feet," the forecast had said. That was way higher than we would fly today, I thought as I listened to the predicted light morning rain landing on the metal roof and completed my "written" exam while thinking about this day being a mixture of 2024 and 1943.

As a concession to my schedule and that of my CFI, I'd been flying mostly in the early morning hours. But today was different. The written was much longer than any of my ground school sessions. But after lunch the rain abated, and we took off finding the tiniest 75 degree crosswind as we left the shadows of the big pines. I dipped one wing and turned into it climbing from the well drained sod at a nice steady rate that would not give anyone whiplash.

I didn't need a compass. The skies to the west were a mix of bright yellows and oranges peeking from strings of white with brilliant pastel blues and pinks. To the east were softer whites and pastel blues with just a hint of pink. One could navigate by memories of a grade school (color) tone chart.

It looked as if there were mountains and forests in the sky. So beautiful that it was almost distracting. But, I had a job to do.

By the time I had shown off just a little, crossed the 28 hour mark, and landed, the air was perfectly still. There wasn't even a hint of a bounce on the grass, just a squishy sound. Taxiing to the hangar was so smooth that I almost pinched myself.

An' as da sun sets 'n da Yooper, da-whirld has 'nudder certif-cated pilot.

Latest posts

Back