• J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base. J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more. J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member

You will also get two J3-Cub decals as well!

Undercarriage adjustments?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ezflyr

Reaction score
Hi All,

The right tire on my 1946 J3 Cub is wearing unevenly. As shown in the picture below, the inner part of the tread is wearing at a much faster rate than the tire overall. My A&P has identified that the right tire has a 'toe out' of 2 degrees, causing the the inner treads to 'scuff' as the tire is turning. This issue doesn't seem to be affecting ground handling to any great extend; it mostly appears to be a tire wear issue.

The tire in the picture has been on the plane for about 300 hours and several hundred landings. The shock struts & bungees on this airplane were replaced several years ago, and the undercarriage seems to be in excellent condition otherwise. The shock struts were replaced to correct a low wing condition on the airplane. One of the original struts had a slight bend which may indicate a hard landing prior to my ownership? It's possible that this problem may also be related?

I don't see anyway to adjust the toe in/out condition of the wheels on the J3 Cub. I seem to recall reading that any necessary toe in/out adjustments are made by twisting/bending the undercarriage by fitting a long pipe over the wheel axle? Am I missing anything else, and does anyone have a reference to the proper procedure?

John

Attachments

• Cub Tire.jpg
    Cub Tire.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 0
Back