• Become a Subscribing Member today!

J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more.
    • J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.
    • You will also receive two J3-Cub decals!

Become a Subscribing Member and access J3-Cub.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Pain in the Cabane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Currently restoring 1946 J-3 and have to replace the Cabane.

I ordered one from Univair, but it did not quite fit. Measuring the attach points, I found it was 22 – ½”. The Piper Drawing 30602 shows 22-3/8”, my original Cabane, like the drawing, is 22-3/8”. So, I contacted Univair and shared the drawing and pointed out the difference, they told me their part was correct to “their” drawings and nothing is wrong with it, they would not share what drawings they had, I’m assuming perhaps it matches up with the air frame they make and not an original Piper air frame. Next, I went to Aircraft Spruce which now sells WagAero stuff, they listed pre-war and Post-war cabane versions. The Pre-war has AN-4 mounting bolts and the Post-war has AN-5 mounting bolts.

My original has AN-4 and it’s a later 1946 Cub so I’m not sure when the AN-5 size was introduced, when I called to ask them some specific questions, they told me they had no response since this part is no longer available.

Not sure what to do at this point, I’m not going to modify the Univair cabane to force fit, I don’t want to cut off the original airframe brackets just to weld new ones to fit the Univair part. I know these Cubs can all be different but the drawing and my original match the dimensions so I’m not sure what to do, does anyone have a source for an accurately made cabane?
cabane comp.jpg

Attachments

• 30602_Vee_Assembly-Landing Gear Cabane_F.png
    3.1 MB
  • cu2.jpg
    cu2.jpg
    103.5 KB

Latest posts

Back