• Become a Subscribing Member today!

J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more.
    • J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.
    • You will also receive two J3-Cub decals!

Become a Subscribing Member and access J3-Cub.com in full!

Subscribe Now

High Oil Consumption

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sierra Tango

Reaction score
I've had my Cub for about a month now. When I picked it up, the engine logs showed about 40 hours SMOH. The previous owner said it was burning some oil. I'm now up to about 68 hrs and that "burning some oil" is more like a quart every 2-3 hours. I checked the logs again and saw that they did initially run mineral oil. The first oil change was at 10 hrs, but there is no mention of what oil was used. The previous owner was using Aeroshell W100 when I bought it. I'm thinking that someone may have switched to regular oil (W100) before it got broken in. I don't see any visible leaks. It does seem to have above average oil from the breather tube, but my definition of average may be skewed.

I just switched back to the mineral oil in hopes that the rings will seat and consumption will go down. I'm considering pulling the jugs off and check the rings and maybe re-hone the cylinders. I'd rather not have to do this, but I don't see any other options. Ideas?

Latest posts

Back