• Become a Subscribing Member today!

J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more.
    • J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.
    • You will also receive two J3-Cub decals!

Become a Subscribing Member and access J3-Cub.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Heated combustion air system

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huston marlowe

Reaction score
Forgive me for bringing up a subject well known to earlier Cub generations..but I'm just getting around to this stuff. When I joined Cub Club some years ago my membership came with a package of info on how to increase "carb heat". Recently replaced all the heat muff parts so I incorporated some of those features. Running level at WOT and 2400 rpm the heated air system drops me to 2350 or so. ( it was cool at altitude so the more heated air was still at a safe temp to be at full throttle) .That drop on my C-85 takes the HP from about 79.5 to 76.5 per the chart. Using an on-line hp calculator that hp reduction would happen with a 37 F rise in ambient temp. A Skyranch article says you lose about 1% hp per 10 F so that sort of checks. What I intend now is to actually measure the difference between the ambient at altitude and the temp in the carb heat duct at the airbox to see if it all checks. I can then conclude that there is no flow restriction level of the carb heat ducting that is costing me thrust.

Latest posts

Back