• Become a Subscribing Member today!

J3-Cub.com is the largest community of J3-Cub pilots, owners and enthusiasts. With over 1000 active members, we have fostered a vibrant community and extensive knowledge base.

Access to the J3-Cub.com community is by subscription only. Membership is only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this community and extensive unmatched library of knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• J3-Cub.com hosts a library of over 13 years of technical discussions, J3 data, tutorials, plane builds, guides, technical manuals and more.
    • J3-Cub.com also hosts an extensive library of J3-Cub photos.
    • You will also receive two J3-Cub decals!

Become a Subscribing Member and access J3-Cub.com in full!

Subscribe Now

50th Anniversary of my 1st Solo Flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Rice

Reaction score
Today is the 50th anniversary of my first solo flight. Cheated a little and got to solo before I turned 16 because Daddy said it was his airplane, his airport, and his kid, so the FAA didn't get a vote. Celebrating the 50th anniversary of one's first solo isn't uncommon, but the WAY I celebrated is. Went to the farm with my family and did a celebration flight in the very same J-3 (N98459) that I flew for the first time on the big day in 1975. Daddy bought the Cub in, I think, 1967. In 1969 he took it down to bare metal and painted the fuselage with GlidPlate epoxy primer before replacing every nut and bolt and covering it with Razorback. It's been flying ever since. Always been hangared, but most of those years, including the past 6 years, were spent in an open front hanger without doors. It's on its 3rd replacement engine since he restored it, and it's definitely showing its age, but it's still going strong. It's made multiple winter trips to Florida and several trips to Oshkosh, with many other trips throughout the Midsouth, and of course thousands of local fights. Taught one of my sons to fly in it and my grandkids love it. Flew it during this year's eclipse. I have more hours (>1,000) in that specific airplane than any other. Lots of many good times and memories.

I've been blessed beyond comprehension in most of life, including aviation. Had it dropped in my lap and have been fortunate to have stayed active these many years. Except for a brief stint when I owned a flight school (I didn't pay myself very well!) I've always done something other than airplanes for a living, but most of my closest and longest friendships have come from aviation. Many thanks to my dad and to Wilbur and Orville!

(My YOUNGER brother Jim also has a J-3 that was given to him by our parents, but the one he has wasn't flying when it came time for him to solo. {Daddy being Daddy, Jim also soloed before turning 16.} Since I'm fortunate enough to own the airplane that Jim soloed in, since he's only 3 years younger than me, if all goes according to plan, he too should have an opportunity to celebrate HIS 50th solo anniversary in the very same plane that he piloted alone for the first time.)

Latest posts

Back